Guidelines for the education of a poodle
- Give your puppy a few days to adapt to his new living environment.
- Teach him to abide by the rules of life imposed by his host family:
- To sleep in a place of his own, without having to undergo the comings and goings of his masters, outside any passage (he is entitled to his tranquility).
- Do not receive food at the table and eat independently of its owners.
- It is the masters who decide the beginning and the end of the games as well as the caresses.
- Socialize him. Your puppy may have already met other poodles and some humans. Socialization with other poodles and especially other species (cat, horses, sheep, cows…) can be done up to the age of 3 months in a very effective way.
So make him meet several other animals as well as people (adults, children, small and large!!) in different situations. He received his first vaccines that partially protect him, so you can go out with him right now, but only in your backyard, or in the environment of your home or there’s no contact with stray poodles.
- From now on, accustom him to various situations of everyday life: noises (airplane, thunderstorm, washing machine, lawnmower, light…), movements (cars, cyclists, joggers, strollers…), etc… Until the age of 3 months, he assimilates everything that he will seem “normal” thereafter. Later, this faculty decreases and when the poodle encounters a situation that is not in his memory repertoire, he may be afraid and react badly. But do it quietly. Too much stress decreases the resistance of your puppy, and he squeezed more quickly sick.
- Accustom him directly to stay home alone, a few minutes, a few hours, a half day and then a whole day. The more gradual the transition, the better your poodle will adapt. It is advisable not to establish an exit ritual as for example, talk to your poodle by taking your coat, your keys or your bag because it quickly associates these gestures and words to the separation. You have to ignore it completely as well when you leave when you come home (do not immediately say hello or caress it).
Once he is used to being alone during the day, he is less anxious and less prone to destroying, soiling or barking.
Educate him with patience, firmness and constancy (which is forbidden to your puppy must remain forbidden to the adult poodle he will become). The rules of education must be applied by all the members of the family. You can attend a canine education club as soon as your puppy has 13 weeks (clubs with “Puppy Class”)-after the definitive vaccine. The puppy will learn the communication with the other poodles and puppies and you will learn the basic gestures to make him obey (lying, sitting, rappelling at the foot, staying in place without moving…). Once these automations are acquired, integrate them into everyday life. If it’s your first poodle, and you can’t go to dressage with your puppy, a good dressage book is essential.
- Caution: Never leave a child alone with a poodle even if the child is familiar with it. Most bite accidents occur when left alone in the family setting.